Sunday, December 7, 2008

Skirt finally finished!


Pattern Description: McCall's 5523 Straight skirt, mid-knee length, side zipper and faced waistline. Several lower back variations, shaped flounces, pleats, gathers.

Pattern Sizing:Regular Misses/Miss Petite (4-12) & (12-18)


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? YES

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very easy...except for one snag when I was putting in the invisible zipper
. Some how when I thought I was finished and tried to turn the skirt right side out it was so twisted so I had to rip out one side of the zipper and do it over, that was NUTS!. I love using invisible zippers and I'd never done that before but this is how it ended up.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the straight front and the various details on the lower back I love skirts without waistbands, so I especially liked that this skirt has the faced waistline. Though the skirt is straight it's not extremely fitted like a pencil skirt. The back detail give plenty room for movement. Excuse the bunch up of my top, it's actually a little too long for a skirt so, I'd pulled it up a bit to make sure the back detail showed. It's actually more suited for wearing over pants or leggins.

Fabric Used: Not really sure of the fabric content, I'm assuming Polyester blend.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Yes, I had to make the skirt my size, the highest size is 18 and I'm a 20/22. I forgot to take pictures of the alterations but, I basically added to the side seams and the front panel. I'm short waisted and round in the tummy, so the waist is about size 20, around the tummy I'm a 22, then back to 20 at the hips. Gotta get rid of the gut!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I think I might sew this one again. There's several variations on the lower back so I'm thinking of doing the pleated version.

Conclusion: It was an easy skirt to make (except for the snag I ran into with the zipper) and a nice style for most figures (in my opinion) so I'm not sure why they limited the size to an 18. I like that it's straight in the front with the flirty flounce surprise in the back, to me that adds a nice touch.

While I was at it I made this tunic/top since the fabric went so well with my skirt.
Pattern Description: Butterick: 5247, Semi-fitted, pullover tops/tunics, mid-knee dresses with cowl-like collar, short or long dolman sleeves and self belt.

Pattern Sizing: Misses-Plus (8-14) & (16-24)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very, very easy. Really nice for beginners.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? How quick and easy it was to cut and sew up. No fussy fitting alterations necessary.

Fabric Used: Poly knit.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: One addition I did, I wasn't able to get the full length of the sleeve on the fabric I used so I decided to simply add a band to make the sleeve the length I wanted, I made it a 3/4 length sleeve


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'll sew this one again and again. Nice to wear with leggins or pants or make as a dress & it can be dressed up or down. Nice flexible addition to any wardrobe.

Conclusion: Quick and easy to sew up, lots of flexiblity.



2 comments:

  1. That is a great ensemble. I've added the skirt pattern to my sewing list. Before I saw the blouse review... I thought that blouse goes so great with the skirt and then I saw you pattern review...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on that skirt. You know I have this pattern too. When will I make it? No one knows. Tee Hee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment.
Hope you have a sew-wonderful day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails