Monday, May 30, 2011

Done...but not done!

 OK, so here are some pictures of my dress (sorry no make-up).  I was going to wear it yesterday but decided not to.  When I thought it was done I decided it needs a little more tweaking.  Here's what I mean...
I really need to take it in  a bit,  in the second photo I'm holding the back in about 3" in the waist area and I think it makes enough difference to rip the zipper out and take it up a bit in the back seam.  The fabric is a cotton with some lycra, so I think that will work out fine.  The jacket...I could really do without, I do like it better open than closed though.
Actually I could take it or leave it.  It really needs to be a couple inched longer (in the front).  I might make one in another style just because it's just a good summer staple.

So, there you have it.  I like the dress and with that one little alteration I think it will be good to go.  As for the jacket this one isn't working for me (my fault) being too short, but I make another one and see how that works.
More later...

Update... I made the alteration and it looks much better.  SO, now it's done!  Thanks for your suggestions and comments, you all are great!!


Friday, May 27, 2011

Making Progress

I was able to sew on one of my dresses from the last post this week and tonight.  It's almost done, I just need to put in the zipper and hem it.  Also I  thought it needed a little something...
 As you can see here, you really can't see the design detail because of the print.  So I thought it needed something to give it a little pick-me-up.
Had I thought about this before serging the seams I might have used piping but instead I'm using grosgrain ribbon (just pinned on for now).  What do you think?  I'm also going to make the little jacket included in the pattern in a white cotton pique'.  I hope to finish the outfit tomorrow and wear it Sunday.

BTW this sizing method I used as described in the last post worked out really great.   I did have to take in the side seams and back seam a bit because of adding additional seam allowance but other than that everything came together very well.  Next time I need to use this method I'll take pictures and document so I can share with you all.  I'll try to get pictures of me in the outfit Sunday so I can post pics wearing my dress.   I really like this dress a lot it makes a perfect summer dress.  I can't even remember when I last made a dress but I see many more in my future.

More later...


Saturday, May 21, 2011


I finally got to spend some much needed time in my sewing room today. I was determined this weekend to try out another pattern sizing method that I'd only read about but had totally forgotten about it until coming across this article the other day about "Pattern Grading (check out this link) on  (I'm really terrible at documenting processes when I'm trying something new so I'll take pictures of the next pattern I try this out on.)  As a plus sized girl I have many, many patterns that are not in the size I need but I just buy the largest size available and try to deal with it.  I've tried several methods...pivot & slide, adding to the sides & center front & back etc.  Usually this resulted in gaping in the neck or arm area, producing something not usable and ended up in the trash or less than acceptable fit which didn't make me feel good about the time I'd spent making the item and I didn't want to wear it.  After working with the pattern I decided not to do a muslin.  I was happy with the pattern tissue fit, so I hope the results are what I'm looking for.   Here's the pattern and fabric I'm working with.
Simplicity 2177
Both of these fabrics are cotton with lycra added so they have a little stretch, perfect for summer.  I really need summer dresses, so I'm excited.  If this method works well for me I'll be slashing & spreading to my hearts content.  Cross your fingers with me and I'll let you know what I come up with.
I'll probably not finish them until next weekend, so I hope to have something to show soon, until them...

Related Posts with Thumbnails