Friday, May 27, 2011

Making Progress

I was able to sew on one of my dresses from the last post this week and tonight.  It's almost done, I just need to put in the zipper and hem it.  Also I  thought it needed a little something...
 As you can see here, you really can't see the design detail because of the print.  So I thought it needed something to give it a little pick-me-up.
Had I thought about this before serging the seams I might have used piping but instead I'm using grosgrain ribbon (just pinned on for now).  What do you think?  I'm also going to make the little jacket included in the pattern in a white cotton pique'.  I hope to finish the outfit tomorrow and wear it Sunday.

BTW this sizing method I used as described in the last post worked out really great.   I did have to take in the side seams and back seam a bit because of adding additional seam allowance but other than that everything came together very well.  Next time I need to use this method I'll take pictures and document so I can share with you all.  I'll try to get pictures of me in the outfit Sunday so I can post pics wearing my dress.   I really like this dress a lot it makes a perfect summer dress.  I can't even remember when I last made a dress but I see many more in my future.

More later...

HAPPY SEWING!!

9 comments:

  1. I really like your fabric but think you should leave the grosgrain ribbon off because I think it gives it a "Becky Homeky" look. Just my 2 cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl it is 12:12am and I just came up from my sewing room /basement. I just turn my computer on and I was so happy to see that your dress is almost done. I love the fabric of course and I like the ribbon but I think pipping would lokk better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the print and the dress style. I would leave off the grosgrain ribbon but keep the piping and if possible extend it around the neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the ribbon at the waist is fine but I don't think it does much for it in the bust. Its a beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies for your comments. After sleeping on it and taking another look at the ribbon this morning, I decided that the ribbon looks like an afterthought & (that is is!) I do like the pick-up the white gives the dress but think piping would have worked much better. Given that...this dress will stay as is. I'm not taking this puppy apart but will consider adding piping when I make the other dress. More later...
    Have a great long weekend everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great. Glad you weren't offended by my comment to leave it off. Now I want to see a picture of you wearing thid marvelous creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I'm late to the conversation and see that you are going to leave the dress as is...I can't wait to see the finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabric, and I look forward to seeing the picture of you wearing it! I was excited to see you were making progress! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Omega and glad to see you posting. The dress is pretty and thinking a white skinny belt would make a great way to break up the print.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment.
Hope you have a sew-wonderful day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails