Sharing my adventures in sewing, paper crafting and a little bit of everything else...
Saturday, May 21, 2011
I finally got to spend some much needed time in my sewing room today. I was determined this weekend to try out another pattern sizing method that I'd only read about but had totally forgotten about it until coming across this article the other day about "Pattern Grading (check out this link) on Threadsmagazine.com (I'm really terrible at documenting processes when I'm trying something new so I'll take pictures of the next pattern I try this out on.) As a plus sized girl I have many, many patterns that are not in the size I need but I just buy the largest size available and try to deal with it. I've tried several methods...pivot & slide, adding to the sides & center front & back etc. Usually this resulted in gaping in the neck or arm area, producing something not usable and ended up in the trash or less than acceptable fit which didn't make me feel good about the time I'd spent making the item and I didn't want to wear it. After working with the pattern I decided not to do a muslin. I was happy with the pattern tissue fit, so I hope the results are what I'm looking for. Here's the pattern and fabric I'm working with.
Both of these fabrics are cotton with lycra added so they have a little stretch, perfect for summer. I really need summer dresses, so I'm excited. If this method works well for me I'll be slashing & spreading to my hearts content. Cross your fingers with me and I'll let you know what I come up with.
I'll probably not finish them until next weekend, so I hope to have something to show soon, until them...